FIFO work is certainly in demand and has become an increasingly popular career choice among young professionals.
We’ll explore the advantages and disadvantages of this lifestyle, the requirements needed to land a FIFO job, and what you can expect from your employer.
What is FIFO work?
FIFO is an abbreviation for ‘Fly In Fly Out’. It’s a popular working arrangement in the mining, oil, gas, and construction industries.
Individuals fly to their worksite for the duration of their roster, before flying back home. The employer typically provides accommodation, catered meals, room cleaning, and recreational facilities for workers.
FIFO provides an opportunity for job seekers to find work in rural or remote areas, without needing to relocate. It also helps employers meet their workforce demands and shortages, where local labour is not available.
As a FIFO worker, you’re usually required to work long hours, with very little downtime during your stay. You can expect 12-hour shifts, 7 days a week, and the most common roster arrangement is 7 days on followed by 7 days off, or sometimes 14 days on followed by 14 days off.
What FIFO jobs are available?
There are many different occupations and professions available as a FIFO worker. Below are some examples:
- Hospitality roles – Chef, Kitchen Hand
- Transport – Driver, Machine Operator
- Tradesperson – Electrician, Carpenter, Plumber
How do you get into FIFO work with no experience?
Mining opportunities are the most common form of FIFO work in Australia. However, as listed above there are an array of avenues and career options to choose from.
Below are some tips to consider when searching for a FIFO job:
- Be realistic with your expectations and only apply for positions that suit your skill level.
- Register with a reputable labour hire company, such as Labour Solutions Australia. We work with Australia’s most reputable employers and can connect you to the right jobs.
- Continually check our website, as well as company websites for entry-level FIFO jobs.
- Network and build relationships with recruitment consultants and people within the industry, so you’re front of mind when an opportunity arises.
- Continue to develop the skills and attributes that could help you be successful in a FIFO role. For example, maintain an adequate fitness level, complete your white card, and gain industry experience.
What are the pros of FIFO work?
- The pay for FIFO work is usually significant to make up for the inconveniences of leaving home and the long hours required. Although the work is hard, you’re certainly rewarded with an enticing salary.
- You have the freedom and flexibility to work in different locations without the expectation or requirement to relocate.
- Your work life and personal life are kept entirely separate.
- It’s much easier to generate savings with meals and accommodation provided. Plus, you’re not spending as much money on-site as you typically would back home.
- You’re exposed and introduced to exciting industries, diverse people, and different departments. The career growth opportunities are endless.
- You can recuperate, relax, and enjoy time with friends and family during your days off.
- Benefit from more holiday time and travel opportunity if you combine your annual leave with your rostered time off.
- Build lifelong friendships with other FIFO workers.
What are the cons of FIFO work?
- You can begin to feel isolated from your life at home. Due to the nature of FIFO work, it’s likely you’ll miss out on many significant milestones and events, such as birthdays, weddings parties, and sports.
- Being away for long periods at a time can put a strain on your relationships.
- Long rosters and long hours in often extreme weather conditions can leave you fatigued and burnt out.
- You may feel trapped or constrained at work and lose your sense of freedom.
FIFO work is a very particular lifestyle and it’s certainly not suited for everyone. With that being said, it’s an extremely rewarding and worthwhile career choice for the right person.
Want to learn more? Register with us today so we can kick-start your career.