The term ‘general labourer’ is, well…general. This is because it covers such a broad scope of tasks and an incredibly wide range of different positions. General labouring typically requires manual work within the building, agriculture, construction, and warehousing industries.
So, what exactly do I need to find a job as a general labourer and be successful in this role?
Higher education qualifications are generally not necessary. The nature of the work is physical and tends to be learnt and refined on the job.
It is likely you’ll need to get a ‘White Card’ if you don’t already have one. This is a mandatory requirement for construction workers within Australia. If you’re looking to find work within the construction industry, consider completing this course as soon as possible.
Most advertised jobs also specify a general labourer should have…
- A drivers license.
- Reliable transport.
- The ability to pass a pre-employment drug and alcohol test.
Skills & Attributes
- Physical fitness and strength: Endurance and strength is required to move heavy loads, equipment, and machinery. Both stamina and fitness are traits needed in this field of work.
- Ability to follow instructions: Following directions from your supervisor is essential. Being happy wheels responsive and compliant when receiving instructions will allow you to carry out your tasks efficiently and safely.
- Teamwork skills: Teamwork is highly regarded in this profession, allowing you to collaborate with workers across all levels of the job site.
- Flexibility: You’ll need to demonstrate flexibility when working with different crews, various worksites, and through an array of weather conditions.
What are the benefits of general labouring jobs?
- There is a demand for labourers Australia-wide, making this choice of work highly accessible.
- Higher education qualifications are generally not needed, making eligibility easier.
- You’ll quickly develop expertise and learn new skills when assisting qualified tradespeople.
- It’s a great way to get your ‘foot in the door’ and can lead to a wide range of career prospects and growth opportunities.
- It can offer exposure to many diverse industries. This can be particularly useful when you’re still determining which industry is right for you.
- You can enjoy the benefits of working outside and staying active.
What do general labourers earn?
Click HERE to view the most common annual salary for general labourers in Australia.
Sound like a good fit? Register your interest with Labour Solutions Australia today.