The Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) apply to Labour Solutions Australia. The APPs were established by the Privacy Amendment (Enhancing Privacy Protection) Act 2012, which amends the Privacy Act 1988. Labour Solutions Australia is committed to protecting the privacy of individuals it deals with. We only collect information that is reasonably necessary for the activities directed related to our core business. This document set out our policies on handling personal information.
2. Types of Personal Information Held
Labour Solutions Australia is an outsourced supplier of labour that delivers recruitment and workforce management solutions across Australia and New Zealand.
The following table provides a summary of the types of personal information that is collected by Labour Solutions Australia and the main purposes they are used for:
|Personal Information||For What Purpose?||How is it Collected?|
|Job Seekers / Candidates
Information about applicants for employment or contractual positions (including resume information and online profiles).
Please note, that an individual’s failure to provide the information we seek may limit our ability to place the candidate in suitable work.
To assess those applications for employment or contractual position.
To reverse market to clients (host employers).
When you provide it to us either in person, writing and/or electronically for the purposes of seeking employment through LSA with one of their clients.
We may also collect personal information about you from a range of public sources including; directories, the internet, social media sites, personal referrals, newspaper or general journals.
|LSA On-Hire Employees
Information about LSA’s on-hire employees relevant to their engagement with LSA including information from clients (host employers) regarding performance.
Government related identifiers such as tax file number, passport details, copies of drivers’ license, and copies of other competency based tickets, licenses and certificates.
Results of employment associated testing, including, but not limited to; psychological testing, medical testing, competency or technical skills testing.
To fulfil LSA’s responsibilities as a recruitment and outsourced employment services provider.
To fulfil LSA’s responsibilities under applicable taxation, superannuation and work rights legislation.
For purposes of return to work / rehabilitation management, post workplace injury or illness.
To provide relevant information to our insurance providers (including workers compensation bodies) and relevant superannuation companies.
When you register for employment with LSA.
When we receive requests for further information that is reasonably related to your employment which could include but not limited to; a workplace accident and / or incident, litigation or professional disciplinary matter, a complaint, a work related reference, or police checks when required.
As required to comply with any legislative requirement.
To analyse our web traffic and improve our site and services.
When you visit our website.
3. Sensitive Information
Sensitive information may need to be collected where it relates to a genuine employment requirement of the job or work that a candidate is being considered for. If sensitive information is required we will only collect it with the individual’s prior consent. Sensitive information is a special category of personal information. It is information or opinion about an individual’s:
- Racial or ethnic origin
- Political opinion
- Membership of a political association or religious beliefs, affiliations, or philosophical beliefs
- Sexual orientation or practices
- Criminal record
- Health or disability (at any time)
- Expressed wishes about the future provision of health services
4. The Rights of Job Seekers / Candidates
Candidates enjoy the following rights:
- The employment placement service must not charge a job seeker a fee for the purpose of finding the job seeker employment
- An employment placement service must not engage in misleading or deceptive conduct (such as advertising a position as being available when the agency knows no such position exists or knowingly giving misleading information to a job seeker about the nature of a position)
- If a job seeker believes that an employment placement service has acted inappropriately, the job seeker may contact the Department of Fair Trading for information on possible action that may be taken
5. Understanding and Agreement
- Personal and sensitive information about individuals being collected by LSA as indicated above
- Personal and sensitive information about individuals being used as indicated above
- Personal and sensitive information about individuals being disclosed as indicated above
- Consideration for an individual’s consent is given when the personal or sensitive information is collected by Labour Solutions Australia
6. Unsolicited Information
We may accept or reject unsolicited information that is sent to us. If a Job Seeker sends their personal information to us for the primary purpose of seeking employment, then we will treat that information in the same manner that we of a person that has responded to a job advertisement. If the unsolicited information is unrelated to Labour Solutions Australia’s core business, then the information is destroyed.
7. Disclosure of Personal Information
Personal information that is held about individuals is only disclosed for the primary purpose for which it was collected or where we under a legal duty to do so.
Disclosure will usually be:
- Internal and to any Labour Solutions Australia entity
- To our clients for consideration for vacant positions
- To referees for job suitability purposes
- To ensure continuity of service, to another company if the supply of the service has been transferred to that company
- To applicably Government agencies as requested by law
We outsource a number of our business activities to contracted suppliers. As a consequence of this outsourcing our suppliers may see some personal information. Typically our suppliers include:
- Legal and other professional advisors
- Accredited Auditors
- Superannuation Fund Managers
- Insurance Brokers and Assessors
- Training Providers
- Background Checking and Screening Consultants
- Software solutions providers for the purposes of parsing resume data into our database, and the creation of administration of any online profile
3rd parties that request access to individual’s personal information (e.g. employment history checks) will only be granted access based on the individual’s written consent.
8. Disclosure of Personal Information Overseas
Labour Solutions Australia (LSA) does not disclose any personal information overseas. All personal information collected, stored and used by LSA is securely stored on IT systems and databases located in Australia and subject to Australian Privacy laws.
9. Storage and Security of Personal Information
No data transmission across any network, including the internet, can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. While we strive to protect personal information from misuse, loss and unauthorised access, we cannot guarantee the security of information that is transmitted across a network (including the internet) by 3rd parties (e.g. job seekers). These are conducted at the 3rd parties’ risk.
LSA will however, take reasonable steps to ensure that we hold personal information in a secure environment accessed only by authorised persons for the purposes and processes described within this policy. Our reasonable steps include, but are not limited to:
- Records management practices in accordance with our ISO9001 quality certification. Where information is lawfully destroyed at the end of its use by a secure means of disposal.
- Training all staff on their responsibilities when handling personal information, including awareness of the Australia Privacy Principals and respecting the confidentiality of client and jobseeker information and the privacy of individuals.
- Ensuring a high level of IT security is applied to all systems that hold personal information under LSA control.
10. Quality of Personal Information
Labour Solutions Australia (LSA) will take reasonable steps to ensure that personal information collected is accurate, up to date and complete. Our reasonable steps include but not limited to:
- Jobseekers’ personal information is date stamped when it is collected.
- Candidates’ personal information will be updated when they are contacted regarding an available and suited position. The LSA recruitment consultant will update the candidate’s record as applicable at this time to ensure all information is current and correct.
- Contractors’ personal information is updated upon contract renewal.
11. Access, Correction and Deletion of Personal Information
Under the Australian Privacy Principals individuals have a right to access and correct their personal information that is held by Labour Solutions Australia (LSA).
To the extent that they are entitled under the Privacy Act and other applicable laws, individuals can access and/or request a correction of their personal information held by LSA except where;
- Evaluative opinion information has been obtained confidentially in the course of LSA performing reference checks to which that access would impact on the privacy rights of other people. We reserve the right to refuse access if we believe that it would breach any confidentiality that is attached to that information or the access would interfere with the rights of other people.
- If an individual wants to obtain access to their personal information held by LSA they can do so by contacting the LSA Privacy Inquiry Service (email@example.com).
If an individual believes that the personal information that we hold about them is inaccurate, out of date, incomplete, irrelevant and/or misleading they can request that we correct this information by contacting our Privacy Inquiry Service ((firstname.lastname@example.org).
If an individual would like their personal information removed from our system/s they can simply send us a deletion request to our Privacy Inquiry Service ((email@example.com).
When requesting access, correction and/or deletion of personal information individuals must understand that we will seek sufficient identification from the individual to verify that the information is pertaining.
12. Notification of the Collection of Personal Information
Labour Solutions Australia (LSA) only collects personal information that is directly related to fulfilling its obligations as a recruitment service provider.
By voluntarily providing LSA with personal information (i.e. via a job application/submission of your resume), individuals consent to the collection, use and disclosure of their personal information as described in this policy.
13. Direct Marketing
Personal information is not used by or disclosed to any third party for purposes of direct marketing. From time to time though, we may use personal information for marketing purposes within LSA that are directly related to the following activities:
- Jobseekers that are registered with us with updates in relation to employment opportunities, market information, service satisfaction surveys and promotions like our Online Footy Tipping Competition.
- Clients with whom we have a relationship, with market information, service satisfaction surveys and promotions like our Online Footy Tipping Competition.
- Subscribers to our website and social media accounts with news and job alerts to which they have subscribed too.
All marketing communications sent by LSA will include an opt out reply should the individual not wish to receive future communications.
14. Changes to this Policy